Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Coffeefest Recap Part I - Barista training

I first came across Coffeefest a few months ago when just browsing the net about different coffee subjects.  There are 4 Coffeefest trade shows every year that bring together all aspects of the speciality coffee industry into one place.   This was the last one for 2010 and it was held in Seattle at the end of October.  Although it was still months away, I was intrigued.  It sounded like fun and would be very informative for me.  However I really didn't plan on ever going, just because of the cost of the trip didn't seem prudent at the time.  But as the date got closer and closer I slowly changed my mind and with a week to go I pulled the trigger and purchased a ticket and booked the travel.  I also signed up for a Barista training course that was advertised as a course for all levels that will teach the basics of making espresso and espresso based drinks.  The class consisted of about 16 people and was conducted by one of the owners of Coda Coffee (a Denver based coffee roaster).  It was about 1 hour of lecture and 3 hours of hands on training.  The lecture covered all the basics in making espresso and frothing milk, but what I was really there for was the hands on portion.  There were two espresso machines so the class was split in two for the hands on.  As this was the first time I would be using a commercial grade espresso machine and I was super excited.  We were using a Nuova Simonelli Espresso Machine:












This machine has two groupheads with a push pull steam system, that was pure awesomeness!!!  It took my group about 10 shots before we dialed in the correct grind size to start pulling good shots.  We each took our turn and with the guidance of the instructor I was very happy with taste of the espresso I was making.  After everyone had about an hour with the machine making straight espresso we moved on to how to properly steam and froth milk.  I loved the push pull system on the Simonelli.  Instead of the turning a knob to get steam like most espresso machines (including my  La Pasquini Livia 90), the Simonelli has a lever that when pulled down delivers a full blast of steam.  This made it very easy to learn the proper steaming and frothing techniques.  Now it was time to put everything together and make some drinks.  I made several Latte's and Cappuccino's during the last 30 minutes of the class and by the end I felt I was making some very tasty drinks.

Coming to Coffeefest I was happy with my self taught Barista skills and was worried that this class would show serious flaws with those skills.  However this class not only improved the skills I already had but also taught me several new ones that were much needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment