Monday, September 27, 2010

How coffee benefits your health

One of the many things I didn't know before learning more about coffee is it's health benefits. Sure this is just part ignorance but also a bit of 'I don't drink coffee so what the hell do I care' attitude. I'm sure that I have read articles expounding on these benefits but as quickly as I read them I forgot them (I do that a lot with all subjects). What stayed with me more was all the myths attributed to drinking coffee, like 'it will stunt your growth' or that coffee causes cancer. But recent research shows quite a lot of health benefits for drinking coffee.

- Coffee is a great source of antioxidants and is actually the #1 source of antioxidants for most Americans
- Reduces the risk of Alzheimer's by 65%
- Reduces the risk of prostate cancer in men by 60%
- Reduces the risk of liver cancer by 50%
- Reduces the risk of a stroke in women by 43%
- Reduces the chance of colon cancer by 25%
- Reduces the chance of Type 2 Diabetes by up to 25%
- Increases your metabolism which can be an aide to weight loss.

However over consumption can be potential harmful to ones health.  The articles I read state that up six 10oz cups of coffee a day can be beneficial, but more than that might have negative effects.  Even drinking in moderation can pose the following risks.

- Weight gain from  the extra calories from sugar and heavy creams
- High consumption of unfiltered coffee can increase cholesterol levels
- Increase in heart disease in people with a specific genetic mutation that slows the breakdown of caffeine in the body
- Withdrawal symptoms when quitting
- Increased risk of miscarriages for pregnant women

I do like all the positive benefits I have read lately about drinking coffee, but I really have to question the accuracy or even process on how this research is conducted.  Case in point, as stated earlier in this post coffee was linked to an increase risk of cancer in some studies, however it was discovered that the people included those studies were also heavy smokers and when subsequent studies were done with non-smokers the increase rate of cancer disappeared.

Now I'm not a researcher or a scientist or am I saying that the results are inaccurate, but who's to say that coffee drinkers are just not healthier in general or that there is some other factor that is not being considered in these studies that provides these benefits?  I guess if I lose weight, don't get cancer or Alzheimer's or Diabetes I can give credit to my increased coffee intake.  Check back with me in 40 years and I'll let you know the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment