Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pour Over Brewing Part II

As stated in my first post about Pour Over Brewing I was going to have my Mom and Sis #2 do a taste test.  Since I'm still developing my coffee palate, I figured they would be the perfect audience since they have been drinking coffee for a long long time, they like it black, and they will give me an honest answer.  So last week I hauled over all the equipment to my Mom's house along with Klatch (Guatemalan) and Intelligentsia (Kenyan) coffee beans and brewed up a few pots with the following measurements:

- 12 oz of water
- Water at 200 degrees
- 5 tbs of coffee (my previous post had it a 2.5 tbs but that was incorrect)
- Coarse grind
- 2:00 - 2:30 mins of total brew time.

The first pot was done with the Klatch beans and I was glad when they didn't immediately spit it out and make me promise not to make another cup of coffee, ever.  However I was also disappointed when they didn't claim it was the best cup of coffee they ever had either.  What they did say is that it was good but it could be stronger.  So I added about a half a tablespoon of coffee to the next pot and they again said it was good.  I then made a pot with the Intelligentsia beans with the same measurements.  These beans definitely have a fruiter taste over the Klatch which they seemed to like better.  While tasting each pot I made with them, I just could not see how this is good tasting coffee.  So a couple of days later and not satisfied with 'good enough' I started tweaking the measurements to see if I could brew something that I would like drinking.  What I figured out was that my grind size was too coarse and I was using too much coffee.  I'm not sure if the coffee I was brewing was over-extracted (bitter taste) or under-extracted (sour taste) but once I adjusted those parameters I was able to brew a cup of coffee that I liked.  Once again this week I will have Mom and Sis #2 try it out and tell me what they think.

Oh yeah here's the measurements I changed

- Grind size set somewhere between coarse and fine
- 6 oz of water to every 2 tbs of coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment